Searsburg was chartered on February 23, 1781, by Thomas Chittenden, governor of Vermont, but was not surveyed or allotted until about the year 1800.
From about the year 1800 to about 1830, no titles of land seems to have passed from the original proprietors. Occasionally during this period a man moved into town, but the inclemency of the seasons and the uninviting nature of the land seems to have induced an early removal from the area.
The Searsburg turnpike, leading from Wilmington to Bennington, was begun in 1830, and for the next four years the population of the town seems to have increased quite rapidly. The population was 96 at the 2000 census.