Head Chef/Kitchen Manager – Sugar Maple Inn
About The Position
Have you dreamed of working close to nature, supporting local vendors, & helping to grow a boutique, woman-owned B&B? If you are as passionate about hospitality & service as we are, this may be the job for you! Welcome to Sugar Maple Inn!
Sugar Maple Inn is seeking a highly motivated, self-determined, dynamic individual with a passion for fresh, locally sourced, seasonal food. The Head Chef/ Kitchen Manager will report to General Manager, run the day-to-day kitchen operations, and supervise a full kitchen staff and local contractors independently. This position will directly manage all back of house functionality of the business; direct the preparation of food, help the kitchen team in the preparation of food items and set up stations for food service. This is a working Chef position. This position must be able to prepare food quickly to the set specifications and standards while maintaining hygienic practices.
This position is responsible for directing and overseeing the heart of-the-house operation (Inn Restaurant), collaborating with events team for catering services (Event Venue), and working closely with leadership to establish seasonal menus and uphold brand standards.
The ideal candidate possesses a guest-centered philosophy, a passion for hospitality, attention to detail, and should enjoy functioning as part of an effective management team. Prior experience as an Head Chef is preferred but not mandatory. This is a role-up-your-sleeves, get-it-done, type of position where ensuring guest satisfaction is our TOP priority. Nature lovers and outdoor sports lovers should absolutely apply!
—Kitchen Responsibilities— Professional and courteous service includes:
- An Enthusiastic, Collaborative, and Solution-Oriented attitude
- Arranging, preparing and breaking down kitchen stations, storage areas and refrigerators will be part of daily duties.
- Coordinate and properly communicate expectations, needs, and pending items to support staff
- Leads and manages culinary services, develop prep sheets, recipe cards, side work, and opening and closing procedures
- Maintains the highest professional food quality, sanitation standard, and visual presentation (brand standards)
- Implements brand menus and adjusts according to guest needs, guest dietary restrictions, marketing conditions, costs, and other applicable factors and oversees its execution
- Helps develop menus for special events, private catering, and seasonal items.
- Sources and purchases of all necessary culinary supplies
- Plans, coordinates, and oversees special events
- Develops and monitors culinary and labor budget
- Recruits, hires, and trains all kitchen staff (seasonal and permanent)
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste, monitors food and supply inventories, and reviews and receives all in-coming kitchen deliveries.
- Supervises Cooks and oversees production, scheduling, and fills in when needed.
- Safeguards all food preparation by implementing training to increase staff’s food handling knowledge
- Prepares, manages, coordinates, and adheres to the food and beverage operating and capital budgets
- Attends all leadership meetings as needed
- Administers schedules
- Works a variety of shifts, as required, including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Responsible for upholding and instilling company values and leading by example.
- Responsible for full staff coordination and delegation to ensure guest needs are met.
- Clear communication and excellent kitchen management. Guest satisfaction is our top priority.
- Assist with interviews, and train new staff. Ensure that all new staff, vendors, and contractors are fully vetted and screened and meet company standards along with securing leadership approvals.
- Lead by example. Represent the Sugar Maple Inn Brand to the highest standard and train all team members to do the same.
—Preferred Skills & Requirements—
- Prior work experience as a Chef or Cook
- Hands-on experience with various kitchen equipment (e.g. grillers and pasta makers)
- Advanced knowledge of culinary, baking, and pastry techniques
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to remain calm and undertake various tasks
- Excellent time management abilities
- Up-to-date knowledge of cooking techniques and recipes
- Familiarity with sanitation regulations
- Culinary school diploma preferred
- Standing 70%
- Kneeling 10%
- Bending 10%
- Sitting 10%
**Must be able to lift 60 lbs from floor to above head
More Location Info
- Visit: www.sugarmapleinn.com
- Reports To General Manager
- Direct Reports 5-10
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 – $65,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Yearly pay
Supplemental pay types:
- Yearly bonus
Weekly day range:
- Every weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Rotating weekends
- Casual dining restaurant
Ability to commute/relocate:
- West Dover, VT 05356: Reliably commute or willing to relocate with an employer-provided relocation package (Required)
Work Location: In person
- Health insurance